Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Knock, knock, knock!!!

Back in December we moved Ali out of her crib into a double sized bed.  I decided just to skip the whole toddler bed stage and move her to a big bed, out of fear that she'd be more willing to climb out of the toddler bed and I'd have a hard time transitioning her.  Turns out I was right.  She did just find sleeping in the big bed and I never once had an issue with her getting out of bed!


Until now!!!  

Today after I put Ali down for her nap--and of course waited a few minutes to make sure she was really falling asleep--I decided to hop in the shower really quick while both girls were down.  I no more got out of the shower when I heard a sweet little voice saying "knock, knock, knock mommy!!" as she's tenderly knocking on the bathroom door!  WHAT THE CRAP!?  So, now we're going to deal with that!?  I opened the door to a puffy, red-eyed little girl!  Apparently she must have gotten tired of crying in there that she decided to say "screw this!" and got down from her bed.  

So, I take her potty again and get her all settled back in bed.  I stayed upstairs for a few minutes to make sure she wasn't going to get out again and then I headed back downstairs.  I could hear her over the monitor chit-chatting and playing with the music thing on her bed....then i hear nothing.  I think she's finally down...whew!  Then I see, out of the corner of my eye, a blonde curly-haired munchkin come waltzing into the living room downstairs!  So, now she's going down the stairs by herself!!!  Shoot!!!!  

It took a few times to get her down for her nap, and I had to close her door all the way and let her cry at the door for a bit, but she finally took her nap!  Let's see how this one turns out for me in the middle of the night when she's getting up!  Yikes!  

9 comments:

Jess said...

Ava's still in her crib, but just in CASE she gets out (we have stairs that she CAN'T climb down reliably) we have those doorknob covers. That might work for you!!

GOOD LUCK!

Heather said...

Silly girl! I've decided we're keeping Madelyn in the crib for as long as possible. We tried the toddler bed that one night and it was HELL! Hopefully we can make it until at least 2 before we HAVE to move her.

I hope tonight goes okay!

Emma's Mommy said...

Emma was in her crib until she was three. She was content in it and never climbed out, so we just left her.

I have no advise for you.......but I do have plenty of sypathy :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my!
I like Jess's doorknob cover idea.

Amy said...

Oh boy...I just see my future. Let me know what works!

LCP said...

We just talked to Josey and told her that she has to stay in bed until mommy/daddy come to get her. I know, seems too simple doesn't it...it is. YOu may have to do a doorknob cover. Josey pretty much is able to get out of bed, but she stays in her room. Some mornings she is right by my bed or knocking on the bathroom door, but at least it isn't at 3am anymore!! Nope, no real solutions except tell her what you expect and maybe she will comply...at least most of the time!

Tiffany said...

Oh no! It sounds like you have a little escape artist on your hands! I hope that you don't get too many late night visits!

audreybreier said...

Cade went through the same thing! At first, he did great in his bed, then he had a time that I'd have to take him back to bed 10 times. But, now he's back to going to sleep. I'm probably a bad mom, but I just close his door all the way where he can't get out. At naptime sometimes he'll stay in his room for an hour or more just playing and then he crawls in his bed and goes to sleep! But, he's not running in and out! I'm sure Ali will get back to normal too and stop getting up :)

RecoveringCoffeeholic said...

Elena jumped out of her crib almost 2 months ago and she was in a full size bed. Thsi weekend however we got her a princess bed. It's cute. My mother in law pushed for it. I would have just kept the full size, but whatever. Anyway, we also have those door know guards because she knows how to open her bedroom. It's just better that way.