Saturday, February 21, 2009

Haleigh's story

Hello all!  I've been trying and trying to get pictures posted, but I'm having no luck!  I wanted to just post a link to an album that I have on facebook, but I'm not having any luck there either.  There's way too many good pictures to post on blogger--it's a pain to upload A LOT of pictures.  So, if you're on facebook, you've probably already seen pictures of the new love of my life!  


So, what's Haleigh's birth story!?  

Tuesday the 17th I was scheduled to have a c-section at 8 am.  We had to be at the hospital at 6:30, which meant leaving the house around 5:30.  I was so nervous the night before that I think I maybe got about three hours of sleep.  We got to the hospital, got admitted and they had me in a "holding" area waiting for the "team" to get things ready.  This time I actually had to WALK to the O.R.--very, VERY intimidating!!!!  They had me get up on the table, and did my spinal there.  The anesthesiologist was AWESOME!!!!  She was very sweet, and very understanding of my prior c-section experience.  She said she gave me the full dose of the spinal just to make sure I was fully numb.  A few minutes later, I was throwing up!  Oh the fun of puking when you're numb from your ribs down!  :)  

They got me in the room at 8:07 and Haleigh Mae was born at 8:30am!  It was the most amazing thing in the world to actually be able to hear her cry for the first time!  Something I wish I hadn't missed out on with Ali!  I just cried and cried!  The surgery went well and Haleigh was spared from any battle wounds like her big sister!  

The recovery has been just fine, I've felt great.  A little sore here and there, but I haven't had to take any of the pain medication much.  My doc did the OnQ pain pump thing (which pumps an anesthetic directly into the incision) so I didn't need to take the percocet much, even in the hospital.  I think I took it a few times, but that was because the gas pains were SO bad!!!  I never knew that you could have gas so bad that it would shoot this sharp pain up into your right shoulder making it feel like you can't breathe!!!  It was terrible!!!!  

Unfortunately I didn't have the short hospital stay that I had with Ali (I only stayed two nights with her) so I had to stay the full three nights.  We got home yesterday afternoon, and our first night at home went really well.  Haleigh was up feeding every two-two and a half hours and went right back to sleep when she was done eating.  Breast feeding has gone much better this time around!  My milk came in yesterday, so that was a little rough for me AND Haleigh!  I finally just went ahead and gave her a bottle yesterday because my boobs were so full she couldn't latch on well.  

She is such a joy, and I feel so blessed to have ANOTHER beautiful baby girl!!!!  So she weighed in at 7lbs 7ozs and was 21 inches long.....the EXACT same as her big sister!!!!  At first I thought she looked NOTHING like Ali, but when I went back and looked at Ali's newborn pictures I'm thinking she does look a lot like Ali!  They definitely have the same nose and mouth, and I think they may have the same shaped eyes.  

Ali is so in love with her!  She wants to hug and kiss on her constantly and freaks out when she cries.  She had a few rough days....her schedule was all screwed up.  My parents and Josh's mom brought her to the hospital each day after her morning nap so she wasn't able to get in her afternoon nap.  She was throwing a few fits and was crabby a little.  It's been VERY hard for me to just sit back and not do the things I'm used to doing with her.  I can't pick her up, I can't give her her baths at night, I can't put her to bed.  I think the adjustment has been a little harder on me.  I've broken down two times already just because I'm so sad that I can't do those things with her.  I feel like I've abandoned her!!!  She didn't want much to do with me for a few days and would refuse to hug or kiss me (especially when I had IVs hooked up to me and was unable to get out of the hospital bed)....but, thankfully she's started coming around a little and I've gotten my hugs again and she's letting me read her books again.  

I'll still work on getting pictures up on here, but if you haven't seen them on facebook go check them out over there!!!  

14 comments:

Amy said...

Awe, I am so glad you had a much better experience this time and was able to hear her 1st cry. There is nothing like it. That's awesome the BR feeding thing is going better this time. Gives me hope for next time. You try to relax and take the help while it's there. You'll be doing it all again soon enough!

Jess said...

It sounds like things are going well! I feel you on feeling like you've abandoned your other baby and can't do anything with her! I remember crying on the couch with Ethan telling Travis that Ava would hate me and WHAT DID WE DO???

But part is PP hormones, I think, and once you're able to feel better and be more active, things will hit a nice stride!! PROMISE!

Stacey J said...

Congrats! You have 2 very beautiful daughters. I am so glad you were able to have a better delivery this time as well. Take it easy though!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That was such a nice story. I'm beyond thrilled that you were able to be awake when she was born. Words can't describe the feeling you get when u hear that first little cry, and I'm so happy you got to experiance that!
Congrats...I can't wait for pictures. I saw them on facebook, but of course I'm looking forward to more.

tm said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures

Rebecca said...

Hey Jodi! I saw your pics on myspace - give my your last name, i've forgotten it, i'm gonna find you on face book, i'm there so much more! ANYWAY congarats on your new little girl! shes absolutely precious! i look forward to watching her grow! blessings on your family, i'll be praying for you all to adjust well

Emma's Mommy said...

I saw your pictures on FB last week right after she was born. She is beautiful!!! I am so happy for you that you had a better birthing experience than you did the first time. It is amazing to be able to hear that first sound after you have been carrying them around for nine months.....what a joy and blessing! I can't wait to see more pictures of her!

Joyce said...

Congrats!! I am glad that you had a good c-section experience this time! It gives me hope in case I end up needing one.

Mrs. Taco said...

It was so nice to read an update from you! And to read the birth story. I'm so glad that this c-section went so much better than the last one. :o)

Platinum Rose said...

Congratulations on the birth of Haleigh! I am so happy for you and your family! I am glad that you were finally able to be fully present during the birth, and get to hear her first cries. What an amazing experience that must have been! I hope things continue to go smoothly as you transition into a family of four with a new little girl to take care of. And I hope you can get some sleep in, too!

erin said...

Congratulations Jodi!! :) I saw on Jamie's blog that she was here and I was just so very excited for you and Josh!

I'm so glad that your experience went better this time around--it sounds like you had an awesome team!

Hope you're having a wonderful day and I can't wait to see pics of little Haleigh!

Love,
Erin

Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing Haleigh's birth story! I am so glad that things went so much better this time. I can't believe she was the exact same weight and length as Ali! What are the chances of that. Glad to hear you and baby are doing well!

Heather said...

I'm so glad that things went differently this time and you were actually able to be awake. I still can't believe you have TWO girls!

Betsy said...

I'm just getting caught up with your blog, but I DID get to see the pics of Haleigh on facebook...she is absolutely adorable, and you have such a beautiful family :-) Glad to hear things are going well and the c-section went ok for you. Thanks for sharing all the details! Hope things are going great for you and that you are able to get SOME sleep these days! :-) Take care.