Monday, March 15, 2010

Hospital Visit

As most everyone knows, from FB, we had a two day hospital stay with Haleigh. Last Saturday she came down with a cough, followed by a fever on Sunday. Tuesday I decided to take her to the doctor, as she was still running a fever and hadn't eaten much. One of her ears looked a little red, so he decided to treat her for an ear infection. After four doses of Amoxil, two more days of a fever, still not eating/drinking, and a new wheezy/crackle sound I decided to take her back to the doc on Thursday. Doctor told me that he wanted to admit her to the hospital and treat her for possible pneumonia. He ordered a chest x-ray, blood draw, and a hard core antibiotic...and of course fluids.

I knew that this was going to be tough, on both of us. I was NOT looking forward to having to watch my sweet little baby get pricked with needles for her blood draw and IVs. The chest x-ray did confirm pneumonia in her right lower lobe of her lungs. The poor thing just layed around and wanted to be cuddled most of the time. She would, from time to time, get a little burst of energy and would play a tiny bit, but after about 10-15 minutes it's like it would totally exhaust her and she'd pass out.

She became so afraid of the nurses that she'd hide her head under my arm every time one would walk in the door! On friday when the doctor came in to see her, he said that she was then sounding bad on BOTH sides of her lungs and made it sound like we were probably in for another few days stay. According her blood count, her white blood cells were down indicating that there was maybe a virus to blame too--they thought that maybe she was fighting a few different things. They ordered an oral antibiotic on top of the IV antibiotic.

Friday night I had gotten out of the hospital to go grab some food and when i came back my mom told me that Haleigh had ripped out her IV! I was afraid that she had been in pain while I was gone, but they reassured me that she didn't even act like anything had happened! The doctor decided to leave out the IV since she had already had her dose of IV meds, and as long as I could keep her drinking as much as possible. One the IV was out, and she was off the fluids, it seemed as though she was finally drinking. Probably because the IV fluids were keeping her hydrated and she wasn't thirsty. So, Saturday morning they said we could go HOME! He prescribed her two antibiotics--both of which are giving her diarrhea, so I still have to watch out for dehydration, but my baby girl is on the mend! She's been sleeping MUCH better, still has a cough--and from what I was told, that'll probably stick around for quite a while.

Of course, I had to document the whole ordeal with pictures! Would you expect any less!? :)


This is from one of her energetic times...
This one is right after she ripped her IV out. You can almost see in her eyes how much happier she is!



2 comments:

Emma's Mommy said...

I saw something on FB the day before we flew home about Haleigh and the hospital, but I was trying to email you from my cell and it wouldn't let me. I am soooo glad she is okay!!!! Little ones and hospitals can be so scary for everyone. Glad they caught it and were able to get her treated before it got too serious.
And, just so you know, I would have taken pictures too :-)

I will pray that she continues to improve and that the meds don't make her too sick.

Platinum Rose said...

Oh what an ordeal! I'm so sorry! Thank goodness she's all better now! I am sure that was a tough few days on all of you!